Every week the Kubernetes contributing community meet virtually over Google Hangouts. We want anyone who's interested to know what's discussed in this forum.
- Andy - demo remote execution and port forwarding
- Quinton - Cluster federation - Postponed
- Clayton - UI code sharing and collaboration around Kubernetes
Notes from meeting:
1. Andy from RedHat:
- Demo remote execution
- kubectl exec -p $POD -- $CMD
- Makes a connection to the master as proxy, figures out which node the pod is on, proxies connection to kubelet, which does the interesting bit. via nsenter.
- Multiplexed streaming over HTTP using SPDY
- Also interactive mode:
- kubectl exec -p $POD -it -- bash -il
- Assumes first container. Can use -c $CONTAINER to pick a particular one.
- If have gdb pre-installed in container, then can interactively attach it to running process
- backtrace, symbol tbles, print, etc. Most things you can do with gdb.
- Can also with careful flag crafting run rsync over this or set up sshd inside container.
- Some feedback via chat:
- UI feedback: things like kubectl log do not take a -p/-c they just expect it to be there.....
- i think we would remove -p eventually
- we were just trying to be cautious because we knew we needed to support CLI args afterwards
- and everyone gets that wrong the first time
- -- is hard
- cobra had bugs with it
- but that's what we support
- also we want to bypass shell args in some cases
- Andy also demoed port forwarding
- kubectl port-forward -p $POD $LOCALPORT:$REMOTEPORT &
- localhost% http :$LOCALPORT
- nsenter vs. docker exec
- want to inject a binary under control of the host, similar to pre-start hooks
- socat, nsenter, whatever the pre-start hook needs
- would be nice to blog post on this
- how to use it. or even a screencast?
- we have a youtube channel and a blog for kubernetes.io
- version of nginx in wheezy is too old to support needed master-proxy functionality
- but wheezy-backports seems to have an ok version, so we should pull that in.
2. Clayton: where are we wrt a community organization for e.g. kubernetes UI components?
- google-containers-ui IRC channel, mailing list.
- Tim: google-containers prefix is historical, should just do “kubernetes-ui”
- also want to put design resources in, and bower expects its own repo.
- General agreement
3. Brian Grant:
- Testing v1beta3, getting that ready to go in.
- Paul working on changes to commandline stuff.
- Early to mid next week, try to enable v1beta3 by default?
- For any other changes, file issue and CC thockin.
4. General consensus that 30 minutes is better than 60
- Shouldn’t artificially try to extend just to fill time.