Discussion / Topics
- Code Freeze
- Upgrades of cluster
- E2E test issues
Code Freeze process starts EOD 22-May, including
- Code Slush -- draining PRs that are active. If there are issues for v1 to raise, please do so today.
- Drain timeframe will be about 1-week.
- Community PRs -- plan is to reopen in ~6 weeks.
- Key areas for fixes in v1 -- docs, the experience.
E2E issues and LGTM process
- Seen end-to-end tests go red.
- Plan is to limit merging to on-call. Quinton to communicate.
- Community committers, please label with LGTM and on-call will merge based on on-call’s judgement.
- Can we expose Jenkins runs to community? (Paul)
- Question/concern to work out is securing Jenkins. Short term conclusion: Will look at pushing Jenkins logs into GCS bucket. Lavalamp will follow up with Jeff Grafton.
- Longer term solution may be a merge queue, where e2e runs for each merge (as opposed to multiple merges). This exists in Openshift today.
Cluster Upgrades for Kubernetes as final v1 feature
- GCE will use Persistent Disk (PD) to mount new image.
- OpenShift will follow a tradition update model, with “yum update”.
- A strawman approach is to have an analog of “kube-push” to update the master, in-place. Feedback in the meeting was
- Upgrading Docker daemon on the master will kill the master’s pods. Agreed. May consider an ‘upgrade’ phase or explicit step.
- How is this different than HA master upgrade? See HA case as a superset. The work to do an upgrade would be a prerequisite for HA master upgrade.
- Mesos scheduler implements a rolling node upgrade.
Attention requested for v1 in the Hangout
- Downward plug-in #5093.
- Discussed that it’s an eventually consistent design.
- In the meeting, the outcome was: seeking a pattern for atomicity of update across multiple piece. Paul to ping Tim when ready to review.
- Regression in e2e #8499 (Eric Paris)
- Asking for review of direction, if not review. #8334 (Mark)
- Handling graceful termination (e.g. sigterm to postgres) is not implemented. #2789 (Clayton)
- Need is to bump up grace period or finish plumbing. In API, client tools, missing is kubelet does use and we don’t set the timeout (>0) value.
- Brendan will look into this graceful term issue.
- Load balancer almost ready by JustinSB.